Monday, April 7, 2008

Bless yourself for heaven's sake...

I know some people think I must have been raised by wolves cause I don't say bless you. Their sneezes are met with dead silence and they look up at me like I'm some kind of heathen for not blessing the spit that is now covering their hands.

What does it all mean Basil?

Seriously.

Over the years, I've heard that you say bless you because of evil spirits that can enter your body when you sneeze...or because your soul could somehow leave your body if your sneeze is powerful enough...or because your heart supposedly stops for a second when you sneeze thus, the term is supposed to protect you in all three instances.

Wow. I thought I sneezed because there was dust in the air. Little did I know that all of these years my body was being filled up by evil spirits. Go fig.

Anyway, I am not a heathen. I just grew up not saying it. Partly because of my religion, but mostly because I just feel like its pointless.

No comments: